Wednesday, July 2, 2008

IDENTITY, IMAGE AND REPUTATION

According to Wikipedia, a corporate image refers to how a corporation is perceived. It is a generally accepted image of what a company "stands for". The creation of a corporate image is an exercise in perception management. It is created primarily by marketing experts who use public relations and other forms of promotion to suggest a mental picture to the public. Typically, a corporate image is designed to be appealing to the public, so that the company can spark an interest among consumers, create share of mind, generate brand equity, and thus facilitate product sales. A corporation's image is not solely created by the company: Other contributors to a company's image could include news media, journalists, labor unions, environmental organizations, and other NGOs.
A corporate identity is the "persona" of a corporation which is designed to accord with and facilitate the attainment of business objectives. It is usually visibly manifested by way of branding and the use of trademarks.


Corporate identity is often viewed as being composed of three parts:
Corporate design (logos, uniforms, etc.)
Corporate communication (commercials, public relations, information, etc.)
Corporate behavior (internal values, norms, etc.)

I have had a personal experience in this; Identity is very important for a company, especially in the recruitment process. Last year, I was looking for an internship and I made a lot of researches to find the company which matches the best with my personality. I surfed on their websites, inform me about their values, and even look at their ads. The image I made of them helps me in my final choice. I finally chose a company from which I shared the values and I was proud to be part of this company which is very important for me.

Corporate Identity Management Process:
1. Conduct an identity audit
2. Set up identity objectives
3. Develop designs and names
4. Develop prototypes
5. Launch and communicate
6. Implement the program.

With reference to Wikipedia , Reputation is the opinion (more technically, a social evaluation) of the public toward a person, a group of people, or an organization. It is an important factor in many fields, such as business, online communities or social status. Reputation is known to be a ubiquitous, spontaneous and highly efficient mechanism of social control in natural societies. It is a subject of study in social, management and technological sciences. Its influence ranges from competitive settings, like markets, to cooperative ones, like firms, organizations, institutions and communities. Furthermore, reputation acts on different levels of agency, individual and supra-individual. At the supra-individual level, it concerns groups, communities, collectives and abstract social entities (such as firms, corporations, organizations, countries, cultures and even civilizations). It affects phenomena of different scale, from everyday life to relationships between nations. Reputation is a fundamental instrument of social order, based upon distributed, spontaneous social control
Personal Experience: Not only do companies have an identity, image, and reputation, but so do people. When I was in high school I had an identity based on my image and reputation. I was involved in many activities such as chorus, band, art club and drama club. With those activities a certain image if me was portrayed. When I went off to college, I found a new identity, image and reputation. No one knew who I was. I had to start over. My school was very small, so when someone said my name, pretty much everyone knew who I was. Now that I was in College, no one cared what you did or didn't do in school. It was a new start and I could decide what kind of image, identity and reputation I wanted these students to have of me. I could decide to be in the college union and do a lot of service to my college. By doing this it helped to develop a new identity.

No comments: